The Trust is committed to Improving People’s Lives by providing the safest possible environment for our customers.
Needs can change over time, and we want to help customers to live comfortably, and to have the best quality of life.
- If I need minor adaptations, what do i do?
- What if minor adaptations don't resolve the problem I'm having with daily activities?
- How long does it take to complete a major adaptation?
- What if my property is unsuitable for the recommended adaptations?
- What if my circumstances change?
- Our Aids & Adaptations policy
If I need minor adaptations, what do i do?
All customers can apply for minor adaptations to their home to help themselves or other household members. Customers of any age can apply, but there must be a recognised need for the adaptation.
A minor adaptation can be an extra fitting or a small alteration to your home, to make life easier. All adaptations ate carried out by our experienced maintenance team.
In some cases, our Housing Options Gateway Advisor may need to visit you in your home to see exactly what work needs to be carried out. Appointments will always be made in advance, at a mutually convenient time.
Examples of minor adaptations include:
- Grab rails/handrails
- Bannister rails
- Lever taps
- Flashing light doorbell
If you want to discuss minor adaptations to your home, please contact our Customer Services team:
We aim to complete minor adaptations within 25 days, dependant on the type of adaptation required.
What if minor adaptations don't resolve the problem I'm having with daily activities?
If you require a major adaptation, these are generally more complicated as they can take longer to install and they are often expensive to carry out.
Examples of major adaptations include:
- Wheelchair ramps
- Level access showers
- Stair lifts
If you are having problems carrying out your normal daily activities, or if you require major adaptations to your home, there are other options available to you. Our Housing Options Gateway Advisor will be happy to discuss this with you. For further advice please contact Cherrie on 0151 510 5187.
The Housing Options Gateway Advisor can:
-Identify the types of property and adaptations most appropriate for your long term needs
-Support you through the Property Pool Plus process (the way our homes are allocated) and help you to find a property which is suitable for you and your family.
-Set up automatic bidding on Property Pool Plus, to ensure you don’t miss out on the type of properties and areas you would like to live in.
-If required she will make a referral to an Occupational Therapist to help identify your specific needs.
How long does it take to complete a major adaptation?
Once we receive a referral from the Occupational Therapist, and if the adaptations are in line with our policy, we may need to carry out a feasibility visit before any work is started.
There is a high demand for major adaptations, and we will contact you every six months to keep you posted on the progression of your referral.
Once we’ve completed all our assessments, and as soon as funding is available, we will arrange an appointment for the work to be carried out.
You may need further equipment to use your new adaptation and the Occupational Therapist will arrange this for you.
What if my property is unsuitable for the recommended adaptations?
We will discuss alternatives with you if your home isn’t suitable for the recommended adaptation. Some adaptations are simply not possible to carry out due to the nature, design or layout of your home. If this is the case then we would seek to provide you with a suitable, alternative home.
What if my circumstances change?
If your medical condition or disability changes, then you can contact the Trust and apply for a reassessment at a later date.
Our Aids & Adaptations policy
We are committed to providing our customers with homes which best meet their individual needs, whilst carefully managing our housing stock and ensuring best value for money.
If your current home no longer meets your needs then we will try to find you alternative suitable accommodation with the necessary adaptations.
There are many factors we consider before carrying out a major adaptation:
- Your specific needs
- Do we have any homes in our stock which are already adapted and will meet your needs?
- Can we nominate you and your family to one of our neighbouring registered providers, who may have a home available to meet your needs?
- Could an appropriate new build scheme meet your needs?
- Is it reasonable and cost effective to adapt your current home?
- Evaluate the expected usage period of the adaptation
- Prioritise rehousing you to a more appropriate property rather than undertake major adaptations to previously unadapted properties
- Work closely with Halton Borough Council’s Occupational Therapy team to find solutions that are appropriate to the person and to the property
- Install wet rooms rather than level access showers where appropriate. in line with our Aids and Adaptations policy.
As a general rule, we will not:
- Undertake adaptations to a property which is under occupied
- Undertake adaptations to a property where external access is problematic
- Undertake adaptations to a property that would have a major impact on its future usability
- Install a wet room to a property above ground level
- Install permanent concrete ramps
- Undertake any new works or modifications to accommodate a mobility scooter
- Install a new stair lift when a recycled stair lift is suitable
- Install a stair lift over the value of £2,000
- Fit through floor lifts
- Undertake modifications to a property over the value of £5,000
- Construct an extension
If you or a member of your family is struggling at home and would like to discuss your options, please contact our Housing Options Gateway Advisor on 0151 510 5187.