Search the Halton Housing Website

Can’t find what you’re 
looking for?

Filter your search results by visiting our help and support page.

Help & Support
My Tenancy

Payments & Money

Here you can find helpful articles on all things Payments and Money. These articles are designed to be short, quick and easy to read and to help answer our customers most frequently asked questions about payments and money.

Popular Queries In 'Payments & Money'

See here for our most popular Payments and Money Help and Support articles.

All Help & Support Articles in 'Payments & Money'

Here you can browse all of our Payments and Money Help and Support articles, designed to help make managing your finances that little bit easier.

2 Week Run On Payment From Housing Benefit for New UC claimants

How it works If you have made a new Universal Credit claim and were on Housing Benefit immediately before doing this, you may be entitled to a 2 week ‘run on’ payment of Housing Benefit. The amount of Housing Benefit paid for this 2 week run on will be the maximum Housing Benefit, minus any deductions for a spare […]

Read More

1 Minute Read

Universal Credit: Non-Dependant Deductions

How it works A non-dependent deduction or ‘Housing Costs contribution’ can be deducted from the Housing Costs element of your Universal Credit claim if you have someone aged 21 or over living with you. The amount deducted from your housing costs will be £72.16 per month for each person over 21 living with you. What you need to do […]

Read More

1 Minute Read

Starting your new tenancy with Halton Housing

Halton is Full Universal Credit (UC) Service Area – what does this mean? In Halton people of working age can not make new claims for any of the legacy benefits (Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, Tax Credits, Employment Support Allowance or Housing Benefit). If you need to make a new claim for help with housing costs […]

Read More

3 Minute Read

Setting up a 'Basic Bank Account'

Most Banks these days offer Basic Bank Accounts which are great for people with poor credit or those who can’t get or don’t want a Standard Bank Account. As long as you have basic identification you should be able to apply and get a Basic Bank Account that has a debit card and the ability […]

Read More

2 Minute Read

ESA claimants making the switch to UC

Employment and Support Allowance (also known as ESA) is a benefit paid to those whose ability to work is effected by their health. To be granted ESA, a claimant has to undergo a work capability assessment, which is made up of many different factors, one of which is a medical assessment. What to do when […]

Read More

2 Minute Read

Benefit caps for growing families

Did you know that from April 2017 the benefits available to families with three children changed, and in some cases reduced? Who will be affected? If you’re already getting benefits for more than 2 children, you will continue to get those benefits.  Eventually, when current legacy benefit claimants move over onto Universal Credit the existing […]

Read More

4 Minute Read

Welfare Benefit and Money Advice

Here at Halton Housing we have a dedicated team of Welfare Benefit and Money Advice experts to help our customers with any welfare, money or benefit advice queries they may have. Over the last two years the team have become experts in all things Universal Credit and have helped over 670 customers resolve issues with […]

Read More

1 Minute Read

Free Money Manager tool for Universal Credit claimants

What is Money Manager? Money Manager is designed just for people on Universal Credit. You can use it whether you’re making a new claim or moving to Universal Credit from existing benefits. It will help you make the most of your money: When you’re waiting for your first Universal Credit payment When you’re getting regular […]

Read More

1 Minute Read

Universal Credit: Advanced Payments and what you need to know

Advanced Payments are a loan from the Department for Work and Pensions paid to claimants who are struggling to wait between 6-8 weeks for their first Universal Credit payment. An advanced payment is a loan from the Department of Work and Pensions, and must be paid back from your first 12 monthly Universal Credit payments. […]

Read More

1 Minute Read

Load More

Help & Support Categories

We have 6 Help and Support categories to help make finding the help and advice you’re looking for that little bit easier, the categories include: Your Home, Health and Wellbeing, Help with Halton, Online Accessibility, Payments and Money and Your Career.

Still Can’t Find What You’re Looking For?

If you’ve exhausted our Help and Support section and still can’t find the answer to your question or query, talk to us. You can get in touch via Live Chat, our Customer App or your Halton Housing Customer Account

Sign Up For Regular Updates

Would you like to receive news and updates straight to your inbox? Tell us your email address and areas you are interested in, and we will send you relevant updates

alert align-leftanti_socialinfo-Asset 3 arrow_down_thicker_no_fillarrow_down_white arrow_down_whitearrow_downarrow_leftarrow_rightarrow_up_accordion article Untitled-1info-Asset 4 tenancycalendarcameracard clockcollaborationcomputerAsset 4 cross_arrows crosscurves down_arrowdownload-2duohouseAsset 2figured_arrowsUntitled-2flaggradient_briefcase info-Asset 5 helphh Untitled-2Untitled-3house_helpicon_additional_incomeicon_alcoholicon_benefitsicon_bettingicon_car_insuranceicon_child_benefitsicon_childcareAsset 1 icon_clothingicon_council_taxAsset 4 icon_electricityicon_gasicon_groceryicon_gymAsset 5 icon_home_insuranceicon_iAsset 3 icon_petrolAsset 1 icon_renticon_takeawaysicon_total_incomeicon_travel_feesicon_tvWage after Taxicon_waterkey_features keyholderleft_arrowinfo-Asset 5 live_chatUntitled-3 megaphonemessagemouse new_homes pause Page 1Created with Sketch. pen info-Asset 9 percentagepersontickpet_iconinfo-Asset 6 plant_iconplay Asset 2 info-Asset 7 property_overview qualright_arrow_whiteright_arrowsearch Untitled-3slider_next slider_prev smileyFacebook Google Plus Instagram social_linkedin Pinterest Twitter YouTube socialUntitled-3square_triangle Untitled-3info-Asset 8 triangle-left Untitled-2 wifi-glyph-24


Many of our customers may receive a call from a third party called ‘Kwest’ over coming weeks on our behalf. Kwest will ask randomly selected customers a number of questions about the service they’ve received from Halton Housing. This forms part of a service review we’re carrying out to improve our services for customers. If you have any questions about this, please contact a member of our Customer Services Team via our online communication methods