Staying safe in your home

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral. Its natural properties, including the ability to withstand high levels of heat and electrical current, were the main reasons that it was used in the construction of homes and buildings for many years.

Asbestos is no longer used in construction because it can seriously damage your health and can, in the worst cases, kill.

Are you at risk?

Asbestos does not present a danger to your health provided that it is in good condition.

DIY activities such as sanding and drilling may disturb and possibly damage products containing asbestos releasing fibres into the air that could put you and others at risk.

What are we doing?

Our teams of maintenance technicians and our appointed contractors who work in your homes are fully qualified and have completed ‘Asbestos Awareness’ training to ensure you both stay safe during any repairs or improvement works.

We are continuing to undertake surveys of our homes, shops, offices and communal areas to confirm the whereabouts and condition of any asbestos.

The information we collect will help us decide whether to remove, treat or monitor the asbestos. In most cases in domestic homes, monitoring is preferred to prevent unnecessary disturbance of the asbestos.

Asbestos – factsheet